Chili is a go to for me in the cold months, but it can be filled with lots of unwanted fats and calories. This recipe has been a go-to for me since college. I used to use it as a quick fix to lose 5+ lbs quickly before a big event. These days I make it just because it’s delicious and instead of eating it for every meal I usually have it as a lunch or a week night when I don’t have anything planned its easy to defrost! So I usually make a big pot and freeze half.
This recipe is filled with lots of veggies and spices that are great for detoxing the system and boosting your metabolism. It’s super easy to make and better for you than most chili recipes, so give it whirl! Make it your own you can swap out lots of veggies or if you are a vegetarian maybe add more beans, mushrooms or eggplant!
Step 1 is to brown the ground turkey, I used 85/15 so the meat doesn’t get too dry. While the meat is browning I do a small dice on the peppers, small yellow onion, and 3 cloves or garlic.
I like my veggies to be chopped up pretty small but if you like them chunkier don’t be afraid to make it that way!
This recipe makes almost 10 servings that why I suggest if you are cooking for 1 or even just 2 it’s best to freeze half! make sure it has completely cooled before freezing.
- 2 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 cup mushrooms diced
- 2 peppers (i like 1 yellow & 1 green)
- 1 lb ground turkey (85/15)
- 1 can black beans
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lime
- 3 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 bottle low sodium V8 juice
- 1 large can crushed tomato
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Heat large pot to medium and add ground turkey, brown all the way through
- Chop all veggies to size of liking, I prefer them to be a small dice.
- Remove meat once browned all the way through and place on plate lined with paper towel.
- Add peppers, onions, and garlic and cook down until onions are opaque. Then add the rest of the veggies and cook down.
- Add black beans, crushed tomato, V8 juice, spices & lime juice. Turn it down to a simmer and let it cook down for about an hour. Then add cilantro on top and serve hot!
Tip: If you usually add sour cream on your chili try smashed avocado or plain greek yogurt!