Growing up, I’m not going lie, I didn’t always eat my veggies (sorry mom!) but since hitting my 20s I’ve really starting loving salads, but they much be flavorful and colorful!
When I first started dieting I thought you know it’s a salad it has to be healthy… well that 100% NOT TRUE. Salads can be packed carbs and unwanted calories. Especially when eating out, biggest tip when eating out would be…
- Get the dressing on the side and try to go for a vinaigrette
- Avoid the fried chicken … I know its hard
- Ask for no cheese (unless you are doing low carb high fat!!)
- Eyeball the plate and try to only go for 2 cups of veggies and 4-6 oz of meat. Some restaurant salads can be 1,000 calories and over if you let it
A lot of the times when eating out I find that an entree with meat and a veggie side can be a better option than thinking you are being “healthy” with a salad.
When I’m at home I follow a lot of the same rules when building a salad..
- 2 cups of veggies including the base mix. This was a new learning for me when I did 21 day fix for the first time and started using portion control containers.
- Make your own dressing! It’s a lot simpler than you may think
- Add color with fruits and veggies there are endless possibilites
- Go easy on the avocados, love them but moderation is key with this superfood
- Mix it up!! there are thousands of variations and recipes so keep it interesting!
With Fall approaching I see a lot of spinach and apple salads topped with Pork tenderloin in my future…. Leave a comment and let me know what your favorite salad is!!